Look at the problem list below and see how many apply to you.
1. My right thumb and lower
arm hurt after I have been playing for a while.
(Click on the picture
to see sample pages)
As you can see,
the text is clear and concise.
2.There is a distinct hiss when I play
3. I cannot get the notes to play softly - they just vanish into a hiss.
4. Often I cannot get a sound when I play bottom
G, F, E, or clarion D, C, or B
5. I cannot get notes above top space G - they simply squawk downwards
6. I put the mouthpiece in the correct position,
but all I get is squeals
7. I have trouble crossing the break smoothly.
8. The notes above clarion G are flat and difficult
9. I can get top notes only if I use very hard reeds
10. I get squeals when I try to tongue a note
11. My cheeks puff uncontrollably and I get a sore throat after
playing the clarinet
12. How do I play loudly or softly without
changing my lip pressure?
We explain clearly
how to form and develop a
good clarinet embouchure;
how to do legato and staccato tonguing;
how to select a reed, and how to choose a suitable mouthpiece.
you are a beginner or an old hand, the Clarinetist's Technique Doctor will cure your clarinet ills.
The authors, Peter Moore and Dr Sandra Downing have both been victims of poor teaching
and fully understand how to overcome faults.
Follow their advice and your playing will come alive!
George Seamans was the clarinet tutor of Santaluces High School
Band in Florida. He used our Clarinettist's Technique Doctor - which comes free with this book - to
help his students. Here is his email to us:
I am amazed at the fact that I can play the high register so easily.
You are so correct in your method.
So that you understand: - I have been instructing high school students
with no private instruction and very limited ability so that it
was necessary to un-teach their habits while at the same time guiding
them with your method. It has been successful in that they have
grasped the concept with a few exceptions.
When they experience the ease of attaining high notes it should
erase any doubts in their minds as to applying your approach with
a more concentrated effort.
A friend of the band director teaches in a private elementary school
and has asked me to work with his clarinet students. It will be
a mixture of new and one year students........
With sincere thanks.
Click on book to go to buy it.
Because, you want to play well?
More than 22,000 Dr Downing Clarinet Doctor books sold to date.
want altissimo fingering? Fingering for crossing the break with
On the internet since 1998
Site Designed by Peter
J Moore ©1998-2014 Dr Downing Music - established 1995